“Be honest. Be kind. Be honorable. Work hard. And always be awesome.”
― Wil Wheaton
– – – –
Rough Trade is a site for posting works in progress as part of writing challenges. This is a positive-experience writing environment. You must be a member to comment. If you flame, bash, or demean an author posting on this site you will be banned from reading and commenting on this site. PERIOD.
We encourage “organic writing”. What does this mean? It means that we are told to JUST WRITE. No editing, no backing up to rework a scene if we have a different idea. We are onward and upward. It’s going to be messy. There will be typos, grammar issues, glaring plot holes, and an author may switch mid theme. You might even see a stray “note to self” in the middle of a fic.
What does this mean for you?
This means that while you are encouraged to read and participate and discuss — you are not allowed to do any of the following as it would interfere with the process and could actually fuck up a writer’s individual mojo:
1. Don’t point out typos, grammar issues, format concerns, or ask questions that might make the writer STOP writing in order to defend themselves and their work. We don’t care about any of that at this point. Your non-consensual beta will not be appreciated.
2. Don’t offer plot advice. I personally don’t ever care to know how you would prefer I write my work. Others might be interested in your opinion at a later date.
3. Don’t ask about the continuation of their work elsewhere off the site and don’t ask where they will be posting after the challenge.
4. Don’t have any expectations regarding the completed work being posted. The author may never post it online after it’s finished. That’s their business.
5. DO NOT HARRASS AUTHORS REGARDING THE POLICIES OF ROUGH TRADE OFF SITE. THIS WILL GET YOU BANNED FROM THE SITE.
6. You don’t have the right to expect explanations regarding the fate of a writer’s work. Rough Trade is an excuse free zone so they aren’t even allowed to explain themselves to you.
7. We insist our authors warn for rape, non-con, dub-con, child abuse (of any kind), character death, violence, and murder. IF an author fails to warn — you can contact Keira and the author will be notified to adjust their posting.
8. Do not contact any author off-site to berate them or give them “constructive criticism” about their story because you know I won’t approve your comment. It’s disrespectful and rude.
What can you do?
You can respect that the authors on this site are stripping themselves down to the BONE in posting rough work on the Internet for you to read. It is nerve wracking, uncomfortable at times, and often as a writer you’re left thoroughly exposed. In allowing you a membership to this site, I am trusting you to treat the writers here with every courtesy.
1. Be a cheerleader
2. Be positive
3. Point out the parts you LIKE
DO NOT BE AN ASSHOLE. SERIOUSLY.